Wednesday 12 March 2008

Service with a smile?

Once again, I'm on my travels - this time, to Dublin, Town of the Hurdled Ford...

The hotel here is one I'm fairly familiar with - I've stayed here many a time before, but I still get lost trying to find my room!

Yesterday morning, I received a nice and friendly wakeup call, at 7:30am, just when I wanted it. In fact, I'd been up and showered already, so it was a bit redundant - but I'd never even asked for a call! I can't quite decide if it was a nice perk, or typical hotel ineptitude... what if I'd wanted a lie in?

When I got back, I could tell that someone had been in my bathroom, moving my stuff around. This isn't something I'd normally complain about - I like a clean sink after all. Unfortunately, the way I could tell my toothbrush had been moved was the great big toothpaste mark where it used to be. Why move it, if not to clean underneath?

So, slightly disturbed by it all, I'd say. Sadly, my imagination came up with dozens of reasons for them to move my toothbrush, none of them sanitary :-(

On the other hand, today was a good day. Work is progressing right on schedule - ahead of schedule, to be honest.

Not only that, but I think I'm getting the hang of this politics thing. Yesterday, I planted the seed of a project, working with the lower level staff and telling them about all the other customers and how much more involved my company is - and more importantly, the difference it makes. Later on, I managed a nice long sales pitch with the project manager for one of our other modules.
Today, I broached the question of the enhanced project with the project manager, shortly after managing to get a whole bunch of useful information out of him on the hardware and software they use in addition to our product. To my amazement, he was actually keen on the idea, promising a further discussion tomorrow.

In other news, I realise I've strayed from the funny with this blog. Time to work on that, I feel!

No comments: