Sunday 6 April 2008

Hamster Sitting

I'm hamster sitting this week. My house-mates have gone away, leaving me in charge of the Rodent. I used to have a hamster of my own when I was younger, so this shouldn't really faze me - except this Rodent is a serious escape artiste. My own hamster escaped twice in all the time I owned her... Rodent has escaped twice in the last week!

Fortunately, the house isn't huge, and is very tidy right now, so she's easy to track down. Helpfully, she rather likes the smell of urine (her own, by preference, but any will do) so she's usually tracked down to the nearest bathroom.

What I want to know though, is why do hamster cage doors open outwards? The poor thing probably wasn't even trying to escape - she's just climbing around the walls of her house, puts some weight on this random sticking out bit (the latch), and suddenly, the door's swinging open with her on it!

I nearly got a repeat performance of this very trick just after returning her to her house... totally unintentionally, she managed to push the latch of the door back just enough to start the door opening!

Seriously... why do they open outwards?

No comments: